Tuesday, August 23, 2011

It's the Little Things

In my pursuit of returning to a more simple life, I realized I've long made it a practice to seek out the little things that add a touch of comfort, familiarity or just plain make me feel good. I've never been a high maintenance girl or had to be entertained to be content. I'm fortunate enough to enjoy time in my head and I take it everywhere I go! LOL

I think we have gotten to a place is space with so many techie toys that many of us are unable to be content without them. We have forgotten how to just 'be' without being occupied by some outside stimulus. Nothing simple about that life. So this morning, as I was enjoying one of the little things I do for myself, I thought I'd share some of them. Hope you'll share yours, too.

Last Bite - As I eat a meal, there comes a point where I know what I want to be my last bite. Maybe it's a favorite veggie, or the last piece of meat, whatever. It's the flavor I savor as I walk away from the meal. My Honey & I were at a seafood restaurant where I was enjoying one of my favorites, oysters, and we were having an exciting conversation because we had just come from the hospital where we met our new grandson, Jacob! Needless to say, my attention was on the joyful event. I realized I had mindlessly finished the oysters. "Oh, no! I don't have one for my last bite!" This was the first my husband heard of my 'last bite' habit. He laughed and asked if I actually planned my last bite and I replied, "Of course, don't you?" He thought it a silly thing I did this but he ordered 3 more oysters just so I could savor my last bite. Since that time, I might add, he often makes a point to choose a 'last bite' and has learned to appreciate the habit. It's a little thing that brings me joy. No batteries required.

Post Breakfast Coffee - My blood does not really flow until I have sipped my way through my first cup of coffee. By this time, I've done my Bible reading and maybe even gotten the Truth in the Morning blog out. I may have a little more but am into my morning routines, so it usually goes cold on me. I don't really drink much during meals, I prefer my libation afterward. Thus was born my habit of Post Breakfast Coffee. I make a point of stopping all activity and sit down to compose myself while I enjoy that last coffee in peace before resuming my work. It is but a small thing I do to take time to breathe deeply and enjoy a short time of meditating on my day's game plan. I come away refreshed, refocused and with a sense of preparedness because I took a few minutes to take care of me. Big rewards from such a little thing.

We often think we don't have time to even think about doing things for ourselves because we have so much responsibility on our shoulders. Friends, we can not maintain to hustle and bustle of modern life without taking care of ourselves. Rarely will you find yourself with extra time so we need to carve out time. I was a single-again mom a long time and learned quickly that if I did not take care of me, no one took care of me. Out of sheer stress and burnout, learning to do the little things was born. I had no money for luxuries like manicures or getting my hair done, that was incomprehensible to me. So I learned to find pleasure in small ways that took neither time nor money away from my family. I discovered it was fun to uncover new 'little things' to appreciate. They are usually there all along, the key is deciding to take time to appreciate them.

Next time you're feeling like life is cheating you somehow and you are not getting all that you deserve or want, go on a treasure hunt. The 'little things' you find for your life add richness and joy when you make a point of taking a moment or two to appreciate them for the treasures they are.

That's my view of simple life from Hacienda Hill this morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment